Saturday, May 5, 2012

| cohen's birth story |

I wish I had documented this a bit better with my other two. So no better time to start than now!

On Thursday March 29th, I went in for my normal scheduled 38 week doctor appointment. When I arrived I was fully prepared to have the doctor strip my membranes with the hopes that it would induce labor. I had already walked the huge hills by my house for weeks, so I was hopeful that with a little help I would finally be ready to have the baby. As the doctor checked me he chuckled a little and made sure I was REALLY ready to have this baby. I told him of course! He then informed me I was dilated to a 7. UM WHAT?! I had felt like I was in labor a few times, contractions were strong and very consistent. But then they would go away, so we would just stay home. I got admitted into L&D and then the waiting began. When I left my Dr office the baby was down and ready. By the time I got to L&D he was SUPER high. So in other words, this kid didn't have any plans of coming. L&D was busy so we kind of got put on the sideburner. I had an epidural placed, which went into a vein and gave me quite the scare. They test the epidural to see if it works so with the small dose my heart began to race. I thought I was going to pass out. I felt like I lost complete control of my body, I just laid there sobbing and shaking until the crazy feeling finally went away. They had to redo the epidural, but all went well after that thankfully. Around 1:45 pm they broke my water. Still didn't make him drop. So they hooked me up to the pitosin. They wanted to do a really mild dose since all I needed was for him to drop not for it to dilate me. Luckily that is all it took! The gave me the pit at 2:30 and I sat and let the contractions get as strong as I could take and then told the nurse I was ready. Just as with my other two this is the easy part! Two simple pushes and Cohen was born! He was healthy and strong, and we were able to just enjoy and snuggle him until they moved us to our new room. I love these precious moments. The way we bond. The love I feel with Bryan and our new baby. Priceless.

This was the view from our room. It looked right over the area we live. I loved it!




They were SO excited to see Cohen. Cute little Mitchell couldn't get enough of him. Their happiness made me even more excited about Cohen joining our family.





3 comments:

Shelli said...

Sheesh! We are lucky you didn't have that baby on my driveway. I enjoyed having your kids with me and enjoyed their reactions when they found out their baby brother was coming, and then here.

Becky Ahlberg said...

That is quite the story! Especially the part about you being a "7" when you went to the doctor! Crazy stuff! I'm so glad your family (and ours) has grown by one precious little boy. Love you all!

Lauren said...

I love to read birth stories they are so incredible and every one is unique in their own way. Bringing babies into this world is a miracle!